2003-2005 Honda Element Driver’s Seat Rocks Service Bulletin
The driver’s seat rocks back and forth during normal driving.
There are worn bushings in the height adjustment mechanism.
Install new seat bushings, nuts, and spacers. Use brake cleaner to remove grease from any threads before installing the nut.
1. Make sure you have the anti-theft code for the radio, then write down the frequencies for the preset buttons.
2. Disconnect the negative cable from the battery, and
wait at least 3 minutes before beginning work.
3. Remove the driver’s seat from the vehicle.
• Refer to page 20-86 of the 2003–06 Element Service Manual, or
• Online, enter keyword SEAT, and select Front Seat Removal/Installation from the list.
4. Place the seat on a workbench covered with shop towels.
5. Pull off the recline handle.
6. Pry the center cap from the height knob with a flat-tip screwdriver. Remove the C-clip, and pull off the knob.
7. Remove the recline cover (one screw, three clips, and two hooks).
8. Remove and discard the three nuts. Remove and retain the washers from the outboard front link and from the seat track. Remove and discard the three bushings.
9. Install the three new bushings and the outboard front link.
10. Use brake cleaner to remove grease from any threads before installing the nuts. Install the original washers and new nuts. Torque the nuts to 22 N·m (16 lb-ft).